By Rida Lyammouri
January 31, 2017
November 2016 by the numbers:
- At least 28 attacks conducted by violent extremist organizations (VEOs) recorded in November 2016. However only 11 were officially claimed by jihadist groups. 6 claimed by Ansar al-Din through its media arm al-Rimah and 5 claimed by AQIM through al-Andalus or al-Ribat media outlets.
- Out of 28 attacks Malian forces were targeted 11 times, Barkhane forces 5 times, MINUSMA 5 times, armed groups 3 times, and civilians 4 times.
- Out of 28 attacks 9 took place in Kidal Region, 8 in Gao Region, 4 in Timbuktu Region, 5 in Mopti Region, and 2 in Koulikouro Region.
- Improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were used in 10 attacks out of 28. November also witnessed the use of a suicide vehicle borne IED (SVBIED) in one attack and rockets used twice. MINUSMA, Malian Forces, and Armed Groups all were subject to ambush attacks.
- Total of casualties: 28; the wounded: 27. At least 13 Malian soldiers, 1 French soldier, 1 peacekeeper, 5 civilians, and 8 members of armed groups killed. 12 Malian soldiers, 1 French soldier, 7 peacekeepers, 4 civilians, and 3 members of armed groups injured.
- At least 10 armed robberies registered during the month of November 2016, mostly in Central Mali.
For detailed report here is the pdf: November Security Incidents in Mali