FULL PDF REPORT – JUNE 2017 MALI AND SAHEL SECURITY INCIDENTS
- JNIM claimed 8 attacks against French, MINUSMA, and Malian forces in June 2017.
- In June 4 MINUSMA peacekeepers killed and 9 injured, 4 French soldiers injured, 7 Malian soldiers killed and 12 wounded, 2 civilians executed and 2 injured.
- Sahel MeMo noted number of inter-community violence. Deadly clashes were recorded between Fulani herders and Dogon farmers over land management. Clashes started as early as 25 May and went on and off through June, and took place on the borders between Mali and Burkina Faso, and included members from both countries. Casualties were estimated by Kisal NGO to be around 100.
- Sahel MeMo recorded armed robberies against civilians and NGOs in central and northern regions.
- French forces conducted from May 28 to June 1st joint operation at Serma forest, 200km SW of Gao with Malian and Burkinabe forces. Barkhane said successfully dismantled networks and camps used by JNIM affiliates in the area, neutralized around 20 militants, and seized arms and ammunition.
- Sahelien.com reported that since early June 2017 assassinations and acts of exaction of civilians have been recorded in Kidal Region between Imghad Tuareg and Idnan Tuareg.
- Adnan Abu Walid al-Sahraoui released a letter threatening MSA and GATIA groups.
- In a short Facebook post, Ansaroul Islam announced change in leadership of the group. New leader identified as Jaafar Dicko supposedly to replace Maalam Ibrahim Dicko. Until now there is no confirmation if Ibrahim Dicko is dead.
- Swedish hostage, Johan Gustafsson released on 27 June after being held by AQIM since November 25, 2011.